CATCHING UP WITH BLACKK BLUNT!! AWARD WINNING ARTIST.

Blackk Blunt Interview with Its Braap
Big thanks to Agent Grungstar for giving us the opportunity to interview dynamic dancehall artist Blackk Blunt. ‘Blunt,’ as he refers to himself, is an unassuming person who is totally on fire once he hits the stage. Its Braap witnessed Blunts popularity & command of his audience at Savana’s launch party late December 2011; witnessing Blunt’s potential to become a significant name in reggae; a mission that is most definitely on track!

We’ll start with your name, why the AKA Black Diamond?

It was Blunt at first, then the Blackk added on, then the Black Diamond added on, so it went from Blunt to Blackk Blunt aka the Black Diamond. My friend & fellow artist Shawn Mental said to me, ‘You are the black diamond that’s in the ground, you only need to be found you know. I’m going to live with that now & ever since I say,’ Blackk Blunt AKA the Black diamond in the ground, need to be found. I guess I am now... laugh.

Tell us about your arrival in the UK... how you managed to adapt to the culture & how ‘at home’ the music scene felt to you.
The music scene was a bit strange from what I was used to. Coming into a country which you don’t really know nothing about & coming from a culture where every turn you turn there’s something banging music in every corner. Coming here was a bit different & I can remember the first night I been here, searching through the radio to find some reggae music & I couldn’t find nothing. The one that I bucked up on was Chris Goldfinger when he was on BBC. Them times there was songs like ‘look into my eyes,’ back in 1999 & I remember finding that & I was so happy that Saturday night. I will never forget finding that. I was just there listening but I didn’t know it was going to finish at 2 and when it finished there was no more & I didn’t know where to find more reggae music! Basically music in the UK is a bit different but I been here for a while now so I get used to it & know how to deal with it.

Was that your biggest culture shock?
I got a lot of culture shock because I see things I didn’t expect to see. In Jamaica there’s this thing about foreign, the picture that they paint & what you get to see is totally different. There’s a lot of things that was strange to me at first, but it took me a while & I eventually got bedded in.

When you came to the UK you went from King Tubby’s sound & then formed your own sound Mighty Stereo Mellow... did you find there were particular songs you played on a regular basis or did you keep changing up?
Things were always based on the event and the crowd where we were playing. At some events we can play certain types of songs. We might be playing at a wedding or an ‘after funeral do,’ so the right song for the right place and right time basically.

Did you play many commercial events or were you mainly family orientated?

We did do loads, majority of these dancehall clubs even ones that are closed down now. I played Chicagos, The Meantime Lounge, you name it we played it.

What was your favourite venue?

I would say for the record, ‘Domino Club’ coz when we just started Stereo Mellow that’s where we really got established from, Domino Club and that’s in Brixton.

You appeared alongside Buju Banton... How long ago was that & how did it make you feel?
That was in 2007 at Stratford Rex & it was a good feeling. Even though we weren’t on stage together, just knowing that he’s on that show & I did end up meeting him in person, sitting like I’m sitting with you now & that was even greater. Assassin was there as well. I was sitting like this, like we were childhood friends & it felt good. It’s good to meet artists like Buju Banton, you know him from small so it was a really good feeling.

How come you met him in the UK? Did you do more with your music when you got here?

Buju Banton; what happened was, the person who was promoting the show is someone that I know. Basically they had a show up in Bristol so he asked me to come along & we went to the hotel where they was staying & we all were chilling in the lounge, sitting with Assassin & Buju Banton. There were some new kids there, up & coming artists & it was good.

Are there any festivals this year or special events you will be performing at?

Yes, there are loads. The 28th Jan I was in Derby, 10th Feb I’ll be in Slough & Channel 4 will be documenting it for Dancehall in the UK. It’s something to do with the 50th anniversary of Jamaica and Tenza will be on that show as well, so I’m really looking forward to it.

You worked with Tenza, what did you do together?

We did a collaboration together but it’s not released yet, soon to be released.

You said you had a Sing-Jay break in the UK, could you explain more about this?

Sing-Jaying is like mellowing it down. You know how the guys did it back in the days, punching it hard. I think in my era we kinda mellowing it down Instead of saying ‘the’ we say ‘theee,’ like we’re rounding it off. It just brings a bit more melody into what we’re doing. If you listen to Mr Vegas or I-Octane, all of them guys Sing-Jay. It’s now a popular thing in the business.

Do you think it gives dancehall a more Universal appeal?

It does because it’s like filing down the edges I think. Dancehall music is a bit punch hall, a bit rough so if you can round off the edges it should help to elevate it a bit more.

Following on, there have been various problems with councils refusing to allow dancehall events. What do you think will help improve the negative image of dancehall in the UK & move it forwards? Do you think the over-all image is improving?
I’m a Jamaican & I’m going to be honest. I know when it comes to Jamaican events the council & everybody would have to think twice because it’s Jamaica. Hopefully, because every youth now is doing this so it’s being more recognized, where at first people would think it’s a joke. Especially the guys who come over from Jamaica & are now living here, they didn’t take it serious. In the last year and a half things are changing dramatically and hopefully the higher society, the councils & everybody can see that we are doing something. We’re not making trouble and if there are trouble makers they will get the law in to deal with it and give us greater security.

How long ago did you sign up with Agent Grungstar & what difference has it made to your career?
Agent Grungstar has always been around, so when we ready we sat down and said this is what we’re going to do. I’m the artist and at the end of the day I’m going to need someone because I can’t do everything myself. We been friends for a long, long time so we decided what we going to do to move forwards. You do this and I do this. Grungstar had I-Shenko and Indecka, two Jamiacan based artists they were pushing and they went far & everything. Even then I was there, but it wasn’t my time so I was just sitting humble and giving advice as it was like a family business. It’s my time now as an artist to go forward.

What would you say is your biggest song to date?

I would say ‘Woman Intuition’ on the Lockdown label. It’s loved by all, young and old, middle aged everyone.

Does it get airplay in Jamaica as well as the UK?
It does get airplay over there but not as much as it does over here yet.

Are you focusing on building your reputation over here first then extending to Jamaica?
Yes that’s what I’m looking to do.

Could you tell us a little about the background to your ‘Usain Bolt’ song?

The Usain Bolt song came along when I went to see the producer, Shanks Production. Shanks said ‘Blunt I got this new riddim & someone told me to name it the Bolt Riddim because it’s chopping.’ I said ,’yeah, the Bolt Riddim, like Usain Bolt?’ He said. ‘ yes right.’ I said, ‘then if it’s the Bolt riddim I’ll do something for Usain Bolt on it’ and that’s how it came along. I just think about what he’s done & put in words.

The Usain video is brill & has a really good look

Thank you, that’s the work of Troytan. (To listen, tune in below on this blog 31st Jan)

Moving forwards, are you going to try and be more adventurous with your videos?
Definitely; I am looking to do loads of videos even for some of the songs I’ve done already. I want to do loads in the summer when we have more scenery outside. That’s what I’m looking to do, loads of videos.

I have noticed that most of your lyrics are pretty focused and specific; is that the way you like to work, focusing on certain subjects and working your thoughts through them?
The way I write music Jaz is, I can’t just get up now like you & me sitting here & you say , ‘Blunt write me a song’. You might get the song, but there can be a time when I’m sitting here & I don’t know what went off in my head. I might be thinking of something, just watching telly & hear one word, or look through my window & see something that inspires me and the whole entire song, all 3 verses, come from that one thing. I try to keep my songs non-fiction so people can relate. As things come along I just address them. There was one song I did but didn’t really get to voice it yet, It was when the riot was on and I am a bit disappointed that I didn’t do it at the time, but I’m still going to put it out. That’s how I write, the riot went on and I did a song about it.


Agent Grungstar with Blackk Blunt

You recently won the D.I.A (Dancehall Industry Award UK) for the best new artist. How did you get nominated for that & what was the process you went through to win it?

It was a vote system via the internet. I was nominated through hard work, being in the streets, being on radio stations like Clock Work. We were pushing it, pushing it & pushing it everyday. Eventually people started to hear Blackk Blunt, Blackk Blunt so the promoters linked the management team & said they wanted to nominate me, so they sent us a link and told us how people could vote.

Winning the D.I.A. is a great achievement

Yes, and we did put in the work Jaz, up & down the motorway, all over!

You have already mentioned Lockdown Studios, you have down quite a bit of work haven’t you with Tippa Irie?
Yes and the latest one that’s due to be released is the Driver riddim which me and Tippa collaborated on called, ‘Sleepy Eyes.’ The Free riddim, that’s released already & ‘Woman Intuition’ is on the UK flu riddim. I am real busy and I’m due to go back in to do more work, but we’re both busy.

Are there any up & coming collaborations for us to look forward to?
I recently done a collaboration with Savana, I done one with Tenza, Mr Peppa from Jamaica & Tippa but there are none in the pipeline right now, but if an artist should call then why not, it’s music.

Blackk Blunt definitely has a lot going on, what’s the latest news on you?

Best new artist of the year 2011. I know 2012 should be a good year, we’re working on it. We have loads of new songs waiting to be released & it’s going to be good. I got touring pending for Africa & touring pending for Europe at the moment so it’s looking good. I have a show in Wales 2nd March & there should be one is Scotland. I am going to tour with Big Ship The Genius, that’s Stephen McGregor, in Ilford & Luton. Another good thing, I’ve been nominated for the CMA’s (Community Music Awards) so that’s coming up. 2012 is definitely looking good.

Jaz McKenzie

FOR BOOKINGS AND MORE INFO CONTACT AGENT/ GRUNGSTAR STREET TEAM
www.agentgrungstar.co.uk
grungstar@gmail.com
+44 (07931829090)
+44 (07534062179)
+44 (07852000796)
BB PIN 2279CFC6/2704D90D


If you would like an interview or have your work featured on Its Braap~Its Life contact us on itsbraap@live.co.uk

Comments