Tribute to Ray Carless~ contributed by Reggae singer Michael Arkk.

 

 

All photo's by Michael Arkk


                                               ---- RAY CARLESS ----11-08-22

I always thought that to be a good Saxophonist you should have a big Chest, a big Neck and very powerful hands. I am not sure why I had that concept but after meeting Ray in early 2006 while working on an Album I realized how wrong I was.

This brother was slim, tall, skilful, talented and very intelligent. Playing the Saxophone cannot be easy but he made it look so effortless, just like drinking a glass of water. Ray’s attitude to music was amazing- he never spoke about the massive stages he has been on while he travelled around the world. He never let money or personal issues even health issues stop him from doing his best to play record or promote music.



Ray was a strong pillar in the structure of the Local and National music scene. He was the one musician that I know that could call any high calibre musician mainly around London to join him on any of his productions. Ray always had a gig or two happening whenever he is not engaged abroad.

The London music scene is in mourning because of Ray’s passing. To find a committed diligent and knowledgeable person to fill the space that is left vacant will not be easy. Ray invested his time and hard earned cash in music to keep his immediate and also the greater London and International community entertained.

Despite having cancer, even in recent years Ray did not consider himself as living a life of suffering, he loved life right up until he died; Ray truly enjoyed his life. These photos show just a small glimpse of his more recent moments, enjoying what he really loves to do. He was a battle hardened General, I know because we are friends.


When the disease first attacked his body about 12 years ago I saw how he fought to gain 12 more years of beautiful life. When he told me of the second attack and where it had lodged in his body we knew this round would be bloody and dark but he was not going anywhere without a serious fight. It took its toll on his body but his spirit and his music lives on through time. I will always remember Ray Carless as a dignified generous and happy Man.

R.I.E.P. Man from Dela Vega. See you when I get there…

Ray Carless~ A Moment in Time a beautiful tune, so relaxed.

It is always sad when we lose people on a personal level, whether family, friends or colleagues. A big thank you to Michael Arkk for writing this tribute to Ray whom he has worked with and known for many years. Michael is a Reggae Singer and poet, originally from Jamaica.

All shares and comments, especially directly under the post, are appreciated!

Jaz McKenzie~ The Word Magician

Guest writers welcome. If you would like to share your inspirational story or venture here on Its Braap, please contact me via my Facebook Groups: 

Its Braap  What's Up Jaz


Comments

  1. RIP Ray Carless!!! Walk on my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. The passing of Ray is a huge shock and loss to us all. His love of music and his playing are legendary. I have worked with him on charity events in the mid 90s to early 2000s and people loved his style. He will be sorely missed.

    My condolences to his family, friends and fans.

    RIP Ray Carless

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment