Triniboi Joocie's Original Song 'Bottle Over Head' ~ What happened next? Predictable of course!


I like talent shows and what ever we have to say, they inspire millions and a few people can change their lives by appearing on them. That's a given, but here we go again people! Same old, same old. 

Featured above we have Triniboi Joocie, who is clearly one of the most talented contestants on the show. This guy writes and produces his own songs~ This guy has the audience on their feet in a second~ This guy made it to the semi-finals where he played another original song and smashed it- what next? Nothing of course, that's where his journey ended.

I think it's such a shame given Ann-Marie had three talented acts to choose between, so let's consider her other two options. 

Challenger #1. Mark Howard I don't remember much about him except he can sing. I just looked Mark up and he's aged 27 from Nottingham, can interpret a song but nothing stands out to me- the rest of the population might strongly disagree. To my mind, Mark gave a good rendition of the ballad, 'Half A Man'- by Dean Lewis, but personally I didn't consider it exceptional.

Challenger #2. Kai Benjamin aged 19 from Cornwall, now a student at Bristol University and descended from Japanese roots. Kai is interesting because he can sing and includes his own rap in English and Japanese. Kai sang, 'Feel Good Inc' by Gorillaz. Like Triniboi Joocie, I remembered him straight away because he is different and interesting.

So, what happened? Naturally Anne-Marie chose to put Mark through. Was he her favourite? That's debatable judging by her responses to Triniboi and Kai. Anne-Marie's exact words were:
'I think for the competition right now and who you're going to be up against, I'm going to put through Mark.'

At this point I lost all interest and have not watched the final. I really don't care who won because it is fixed in such a way that different doesn't stand a chance. We all know that the studio audience embraces acts with more passion than viewers at home, and that different genres are not going to appeal to the majority, but it's still sad. Will, Tom and Olly all put straight forward singers through, although Naomi Johnson does include whistle notes which are the highest register therefore difficult to sing. The programme is called 'The Voice' but it's really about a specific type of voice that services the commercial market where they know they'll make their $$$$$$$$$$$$. Such a shame as this does not help other genres at all. When Dalton Harris won the X-Factor UK, I checked him out and originally he sang Dancehall and appeared with Romaine Virgo- did we hear Dalton sing Dancehall even once? Of course not. It doesn't fit the mould. 

What I would say is that if you are an original, highly talented singer you know where the ceiling sits, but what you will gain from this programme is some additional exposure. I also noted that the judges are barely mentoring the singers anymore, that appears to start at semi-final level, until then it looks as if you're on your own- I could be wrong, but that's how it comes across.

I have nothing more to add really. It's all very disappointing. The industry is self-serving, the industry decides what the public want and those who believe the system waste their money voting. That's the wrap!

Over to you!!! Do you have a great story to tell? What have you overcome and how? Are you organizing an event that you’d love to share? Have you written an article, poem or short story you would like featured? If so, please contact me with brief info via my Facebook Group Its Braap and I will get back to you.

Jaz McKenzie~ The Word Magician 


Comments