Strykly Rootz~ The story behind the album- Jah Rain


Big thanks to Jah Rain for contributing this post which speaks about how he created his new album, 'Strykly Rootz,'  and the back story that goes with it. 

One of Its Braap's key purposes is to share stories from people who have been inspired in different ways. This fulfils the remit being a very inspiring story of how life took an unexpected turn that totally threw Jah Rain, however, with time the project was completed. I hope we all really appreciate this opportunity to look at the process Jah Rain followed in order to achieve his goal, the 'Never Give Up attitude.' This article also gives us a real insight into the elements and challenges faced when creating music and putting a band together. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I love the faith Jah Rain has in his own judgement along with his determination to complete the album despite it taking so many years. 

This album is coming from a long time now since 2013 when I took a break from the music and decided that if I am going back to music it will be Roots Reggae Music…

That’s when I also decided to form the “Iyah Vybz Kreation Band “ 

It was a great struggle to get the band together and to keep it going because it was just me alone has to be footing everything...

However before I went on the quest of putting the band together I sat at home on my keyboard πŸŽΉ and created several Roots Reggae Instrumentals, then I wrote songs for them and practice them before seeking out musicians to fit the band …

I had a neighbor who was a very young boy at the time that just graduated from secondary school however, it doesn’t matter how young he was I could sense and hear that he has talent but never has his own guitar, so I borrowed an acoustic guitar and lend it to him along with some of the roots reggae songs I had created.

He had a few friends that was interested in joining the band so we would have practice in my one bedroom 2 times per week until I decided to hustle and save money so that we could go to Tuff gong studio for our first rehearsal. However Tuff gong studio was booked out so we went by a studio on Keezin Avenue called Alternative Music and that’s where we had our fist rehearsal. 

That day we were nervous because we thought we would not be ready and we would sound bad, but that wasn’t the case because I remember there was a lady by the name Charmaine who heard us and she was delighted by the way we sounded. Then she ask if we were rehearsing for Gungo Walk Festival that use to happen every year at the school of music here in Jamaica. I was surprised because I never heard about it so I told her no, then she says that you guys sound good and people should hear us. Then she say she will talk to the organizers to get us to open the festival we were so happy πŸ˜ We did well on opening the festival so the following years we get our own spot and time on the festival. Then we start to go around Jamaica to perform on several live events ….. We were also called upon to do Live Nation television on Bob Marley’s birthday celebration which was a lovely vibes.

The suddenly a few day after we lost the bass player of our band. He was found dead and that’s where the band and the players went south. We regrouped a few times after that but just to do performances. I was totally depressed over all the things that happened and give the music the longest break ever until 9 years after I decided to finish this album. 

Strykly Rootz album:

All Riddim’s played in Tuff Gong studio
 
The vocals were recorded at several studio including Anchor studio, Tuff Gong studio and one specific song was recorded in Ken Boothe studio because he insist the track title “Don't Burn Your Bridges” be recorded in his studio

Songs mix and master by Kutral Dub out of Chile πŸ‡¨πŸ‡± and Iyah Vybz Muzik from Jamaica πŸ‡―πŸ‡²

Musicians who played on the album:

Lead guitarist is Andre Carter who formally played and tour with Junior Gong Marley and  reggae artist Jah Cure 

Riddim guitarist is Shackair McQueen who is now playing and touring with Kabaka Pyramid 

Bass player was late great Kadeem at the time he was one of the best young bass player I could acknowledge 

Keyboard players is Romano Pitt and Umar Plummer (Jah Rain)

Drums played by Leroy Wallace (horse mouth) who played with most of the great reggae artists drums rearranged by Umar Plummer (Jah Rain)

Percussionist is Fanso who played and also tour with some of the great reggae artist out there 

All Instrumentals were created by Umar Plummer (Jah Rain)

All songs written by Umar Plummer (Jah Rain)

Background vocals by Camara Stewart and Umar Plummer (Jah Rain)

Over to you!!! Do you have a great story to tell? What have you overcome and how? Are you organizing an event that you’d love to share? Have you written an article, poem or short story you would like featured? If so, please contact me with brief info via my Facebook Group Its Braap and I will get back to you. And subscribe to our YouTube channel at  Its Braap TV


Comments