'LOST' ~ A poem by Yendis



~IB~ are pleased to share this very deep and thought provoking poem written many years ago by Yendis. It is more likely that you are familiar with Yendis's presence on 'REGGAESPACE'
where he has interviewed many of the singers reggae fans love. Yendis is clearly a talented poet and I hope we will hear more from him.

LOST

Once I belonged. Once I had pride.
Head of my family. My life was my tribe.
We had a great chief. He had my respect.
He guided us through harsh wars and conflict.

Then forced emigration. I joined a new tribe.
We sailed ‘cross a river as broad as ‘twas wide.
With no common tongue, ‘twas rare did we speak.
Tight packed. Long journey. It damn near killed me.

Detribalisation. They made me forget.
My tongue, my tribe. I had nothing left.
I’m lost now I know not from whence I came.
I’m stripped and never will know my real name.

Yendis 1989

To check out Yendis tune into www.reggaespace.com


If you write poetry and wish to be featured on Its Braap ~Its Life we would love to hear from you!! contact itsbraap@live.co.uk

Comments