Be Braap~Be Inspired!!! Real Quotes from Real People!!- The Big Stick.



‘He said to me, ‘speak softly & carry a big stick- you will go far!’- now what did he mean?’
~ Danyel

These were some intriguing words I came across recently and definitely a pause for thought. We are so filled with obvious motivational phrases these days that suggestions of big sticks are very out of vogue!

My interpretation, although I expect you to come up with your own, is that it is always best to take a softly- softly approach first. A point here, when you speak quietly you are just as likely to be heard as when you shout. It is the level of authority in a person’s voice that conveys intention and respect.

Big stick- well now, that’s interesting. Maybe the big stick is just to re-affirm authority and means that if people don’t pull their weight they’re off your team! Big sticks are often used as a threat, usually one that is not carried out because words alone can be effective. Back in the day we used to speak of the stick and the carrot- a good incentive is usually preferable to a punishment, although some people always seem to learn the hard way and where children are concerned they will push and break boundaries. This means that the big stick has to be an action that you are fully prepared to carry out. Years ago the big stick was quite literally a big stick and you would get a thorough beating for failure to conform. These days it has become illegal to even smack children in many cultures, no doubt following many psychological discussions. Don't get me started on discipline today, even though I work in childcare and definitely disagree with smacking children excessively or an form of brutal discipline, by the same token I have little time for the 'Gentle Parenting' approach- a few steps too far as children are allowed to be in control of pretty much everything- how on earth will they handle real life when they have to conform with company expectations etc? Even before then when they enter the education system, a child can't refuse to do maths because they don't like the subject- but let's leave parents who apply the gentle parenting approach to discover this for themselves, and in all fairness, I have not studied the subject so maybe have only witnessed a couple of poor examples of its interpretation.

On a personal level, I need to carry a big stick at times to whip myself back into shape when needs must! Like so many of you, I am inclined towards procrastination on a semi-regular basis. This is something that is difficult to accept when we have big dreams and little time in which to work towards to them. I seem to suffer with more illnesses since that dreaded disease hit me really hard in 2020; even now I'm extremely tired after something as minor as a cold. 

Due to this, I have set myself a challenge to avoid beating myself with the big stick. The new action I am taking is to spend a minimum of 15 minutes every day reading my course work and writing one sentence before work. This means I am continuing in the evening as opposed to starting, which is mentally more inspiring. I intend to make a video about this shortly.

As committed Braapers will realise, it's a very long time since I shared quotes on Its Braap, however, I came across this draft today having committed to posting every Sunday and needing a quick post today due to family commitments. In reality, I have added quite a bit to the original paragraph! Good, a visible show of dedication to my future.

Finally, I will leave you to think about where the big stick fits in your life. Remember to always speak kindly to yourself at all times because we go through things for a purpose. Self love is the most important aspect of personal appreciation and the gateway to growth. We show how much we value ourselves by the way we speak, so when you speak 'think' unhelpful or harsh things- just see it for what it is, a thought, and move on. As some people say, there are no such things as good and bad thoughts- they are just thoughts unless you decide to make something more of them.

Please note, if you have a favourite saying of your own, please contact me so we can share it and inspire others.

Over to you!!! Do you have a great story to tell? What have you overcome and how? Are you organizing an event that you’d love to share? Have you written an article, poem or short story you would like featured? If so, please contact me with brief info via my Facebook Group Its Braap and I will get back to you. And please subscribe to our YouTube channel at  Its Braap TV

Jaz McKenzie~ The Word Magician 

Comments