Building Momentum~ A poem about direction by Jaz McKenzie

 


BUILDING MOMENTUM~ The Process

The Excuse

Switch up the beat. Turn up the vibe.

Check me peeps. I’m so alive!

Feeling the wind blowing my hair.

Saying, ‘You’re free! Have no care.

Live in the moment. Enjoy the day.

Be like a child. Make your own play.

Whatever that happens to mean to you.

Enjoy yourself for an hour or two.’

 

The Purpose

But it’s time to focus and step up my game.

We know balance is key. It has to reign.

So I’m finding the tempo that suits my style.

Helping me go the extra mile.

When I’m feeling rough. Or tired. Or down.

I will find a smile to replace the frown.

To reach the momentum that’s deep inside.

Getting things done through my inner jive.

 

The Outcome

Change only comes when applying the mind.

To the things in our lives that we need to refine.

So do this with purpose. Repeatedly.

And become the change you wish to see.

Yes. That’s been said. Ten thousand times.

Now absorb the energy bridging the lines.

Into your thoughts. Your words. Your deeds.

Let the new you emerge. Be the summer breeze.

Jaz McKenzie ©2023


I wrote this poem today and the aim is to push myself into achieving far more than I have recently. Last week I wrote about the rocks on the river of life. Never mind rocks, I feel as if I've washed up on the shore recently! This is not my reality. My reality is that I have been focused on changing various aspects of my being, specifically thoughts, those that could sabotage the future I'm creating. This is not a question of being overly dramatic. When we notice our monkey brain dragging us back into our familiar selves we need to do something about it. To do this we activate the energy required to stay alert, which depletes the amount of energy available to apply to other areas. As I am seeing some results, now is the time to shift focus and move forward in relation to other things. 

Returning to the poem, I find it easy to make excuses for not doing things and that is why I have thought through the process using three phases. 

The Excuse- I find there are times when I have something I should be doing but will find reasons not to. The biggest reason is that there is always tomorrow. Then tomorrow comes and there is always tomorrow. You see, it's easy to cop out and do something you fancy that is passive, such as watching TV, or even passive from a routine perspective- going for a walk. If you don't reign it in quickly you start creating a habit that is contrary to your primary objectives and that is dangerous. 

The Purpose- When we are not moving forwards as we would like, it's time to identify where we are in more depth and the reasons why. I realised that I was using energy in a specific way as mentioned above. Experience teaches, when things are going well something always pops up before long, so it's advisable to identify a strategy that will help promote consistency when the next issue emerges. Always define and believe in your WHY as this will motivate you.

The Outcome- The outcome is dependent on personal habits and characteristics. If you keep falling back into the same behaviours how can you make progress? You have to believe in the person you wish to be... and be that person. You don't need to spend much time thinking about where to start as you will always feel what it is that you most need to work on. Ask yourself what is most important at the moment and everything becomes obvious. It's a matter of catching unwanted thoughts quickly before they morph into feelings or actions. Catching things quickly allows you to change direction. I find it best to acknowledge unwanted thoughts because your mind is doing its best to stay in the safe zone and is not working against you intentionally. It simply needs retraining and this is a gradual process. One day you will look back and realise just how far you have come.

Over to you!!! Do you have a great story to tell? What have you overcome and how? Are you organizing an event that you’d love to share? Have you written an article, poem or short story you would like featured? If so, please contact me with brief info via my Facebook Group Its Braap and I will get back to you. And subscribe to our YouTube channel at  Its Braap TV

Jaz McKenzie~ The Word Magician 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments