Ghetto Songbird & the Roxploitation Band are making Rock Move! Botswana Update.


Hello Braapers! (Be Ready And Act Promptly)

Big thank you to Ghetto Songbird (Samantha Hollins) for giving us an insight into her and The Roxsploitation band's up-coming visit to Botswana. It is so good to see people living their dream and I am happy that we have such a good affiliation with Samantha who is full of energy and totally inspiring. I will leave you to watch the video! ( please comment, like and share!)

Here are links to Ghetto Songbird's previous performances and more!

Sample flyer 

Samantha recently issued an interesting post on her Facebook page which takes us back to the start of her career. Today she has established quite a presence on the rock music scene, but starting out as a young, black, female rocker all those years ago was actually a courageous move and one that should be fully accredited so to speak. I am also sharing a few words with a link to the fundraising.
Back to Samantha:

'I always post this on the day that I was on B.E.T.’s 106 & Park, April 21st in 2003. It reminds me of my humble beginnings. They tried something different by booking this Afro wearing, hippy looking sister from Philadelphia, Rockin’ out with my electric guitar in between R&B and Hip-Hop videos. At the time it was not being done. At the time there were no lanes for melanated women in mainstream Rock. I received a lot of hate mail from folks thought I had no right playing Rock and I got emails like this from women and young girls who were excited to see someone who looked like them Rockin’ out. I will never forget groundbreaking that moment was. Thank you always Marilynn McNair! Performing live on 106 & Park showed me so much I needed to know in order to maintain my personal truth in the entertainment business. Emails like this have me the inspiration to carve my own path regardless of the isms, trends and negative energy!'




It’s so cool seeing my band name on this T-Shirt for the 14th Anniversay Overthrust Winter Metal Mania Fest 2023 in Botswana May 26th - 27th. My musical tribe GhettoSongBird & The Roxsploitation Band are elated to be apart of this legendary charity festival that gives back to it’s community. I can’t wait to get my T-Shirt and Rock it with my leather pants and black boots! My band is also my media crew, so we will be covering the festival for my Culture Rock Griot brand as well. We are still seeking sponsors. Go to the link to contribute and get some of my Culture Love Products and Merch!

Over to you!!! Do you have a great story to tell? What have you overcome and how? Are you organizing an event that you’d love to share? Have you written an article, poem or short story you would like featured? If so, please contact me with brief info via my Facebook Group Its Braap and I will get back to you. And subscribe to our YouTube channel at  Its Braap TV

Jaz McKenzie~ The Word Magician 



Comments