Make Me Feel Your Love~ Ben Brown - What a blessing!

What a great surprise!

Hello Braapers! Well, today went slightly topsy-turvy, however, as is often the case this enabled the universe to issue an extra blessing, this time in the form of music- specifically, Ben Brown, and if you know me you also know there’s nothing I love more than discovering talent.

I went out this morning as I was expecting a delivery between midday- 2pm, according to the Royal Mail’s email which I received earlier. Yes, you guessed it, they arrived just after I left at 10.30am; irritating but not important as I can collect it Saturday. What counts here is a little bit of busking in the middle of Croydon shopping centre.  'Dreams' drifted across whilst I was listening to Marvin Gaye on my headset. As you can imagine, it takes something really special to compete with Marvin, a man who will always be at the top of the game. On this occasion his love had to wait a little while as I did an about turn, doing a pied piper thing heading in the direction of a super clean, alluring voice that turned out to be an artist I haven’t come across before, Ben Brown.

Finding a great singer always generates excitement within, especially where busking is concerned because it’s unexpected. There’s a huge difference between watching a programme like X Factor, where you know you will hear some excellent singers, as opposed to doing something as mundane as shopping and having your vibration instantly raised when a beautiful song pops into your hemisphere and simply captivates you.

I liked Ben’s interpretation of the two songs I listened to so I have posted a short of Dreams, (Fleetwood Mac cover) and the Bob Dylan classic above on Its Braap TV. Typically, I missed the first line of, ‘Make You Feel My Love,’ as I was doing something on my phone! Sorry Ben. Just wish to add, in my opinion, no one cannot compete with Bob Dylan on this one, in fact, not even Adele although she did a fantastic job so I’m probably out-voted. The reason I feel this way, Bob wrote this song and sang it from the heart in his rough, gravelly style. Bob came from a raw era and his feelings were upfront in all of his lyrics, enabling the entire world to read into them making them so authentic and personal. For me, I want to listen to the man who can express himself in this way. Bob evokes emotions that can generate tears. In fact, listening to this song I relate completely right here, right now even though this isn’t my story; which is due to Bob’s incredible story-telling throughout this almost haunted account of a very troubled man who would do anything to re-embrace his chosen love back into his life… but will these words and promises be enough? Clearly there is a huge back story which is not revealed therefore it is even easier to connect. That’s my interpretation which is due to the vibe of the song. Interestingly, when I listened to Adele’s cover, someone had put in the comments that they played it at their wedding. I guess if you are only taking on board the part about feeling and conveying love you might use it is a love dedication, but it's actually a plea so not based on happiness. Personally, I think Bryan Adams is one of the best for writing love lyrics and you can't beat, 'Everything I do,' even then there must be a reason for making such extreme proclamations! Speaking of wedding songs, apparently, ‘Every Breath YouTake’ (The Police) is very popular and Sting has said that people don’t catch on to the sinister undertone.

Returning to the now, I think ‘Make You Feel My Love’ definitely suits Ben, who has the ability to draw you in differently, creating an emotional impact through the richness in his tone and beautiful riffs which are very ‘today,’ resulting in a version of the song that translates well to a new audience. If you wish to connect with Ben here is his Facebook page: Ben Brown Facebook

BRAAP= Be Ready And Act Promptly

Over to you!!! Do you have a great story to tell? What have you overcome and how? Are you organizing an event that you’d love to share? Have you written an article, poem or short story you would like featured? If so, please contact me with brief info via my Facebook Group Its Braap and I will get back to you. And subscribe to our YouTube channel at  Its Braap TV 

Jaz McKenzie~ The Word Magician 


Comments