Stand By Me Cover By @BenEKing-sv1kg

 
These youngsters are so incredible I've been meaning to share their music for a while. I first came across this talented trio when they popped up in my Instagram feed which resulted in a couple of hours spent checking out their page. My research revealed 'The Nhlangothi family' who are from South Africa. Biko is the beautiful 16 year old female vocalist with Manna (13) accompanying her on the guitar whilst providing perfect harmonies that help lift the songs to new heights. Mfundo (8) clearly has a very lively personality and can be seen doing his own thing in the background- which is usually free-style dancing but occasionally he plays the piano. I discovered somewhere that Manna, who is inspired by singer/songwriter Jacob Collier, really wants to learn to play every instrument so has set himself quite a challenge! 

Like thousands of others I am absolutely smitten with Biko's voice, which she uses effortlessly sounding fresh but equally like 'an old soul'- as judges would no doubt say if they were on a talent show. In fact, I gather it's been confirmed that they will be on the next season of America's Got Talent following their invitation to audition. Personally, I'm glad it's AGT as I imagine they will have more freedom to follow their own path that way as opposed to being contracted to shows like the X-factor- I certainly hope so because currently they are free to do as they please which comes through in their song choices and video recordings.

I was not surprised to discover that the children come from a long line of musical family members so are very grounded in the art. Their mother, Ayanda Nhlangothi is a singer/actress and also their manager. Evidently both of their parents perform with them at times when the trio are booked to perform. Biko really knows how to use her voice and occasionally she produces a Corinne Bailey-Rae type of vocal which I love, especially being a huge fan of Corinne Bailey-Rae and finding it easy to relate to her songs. Biko has covered at least one of them giving a stunning interpretation.

I particularly like the trio's attitude to life. They come across as very happy, grounded and believe in themselves, knowing that their talent will ultimately manifest in the ways they want. Biko leads the Instagram lives and displays a mature level of patience with Mfundo, allowing him time to do his thing. They share songs/ music they are working on and at these times you see beyond the covers! In fact, they started making their own music and songs from a very young age and are very tuned in to one another.

Biko's Manna and Mfundo already have a large following and I can only imagine how rapidly this is set to expand once they appear on AGT. This trio is the 'real deal' and it is exciting to catch them before their journey hits full swing.

Please subscribe to our YouTube channel at  Its Braap TV & contact me via my Facebook group if you would like to contribute to  Its Braap Thank you. Jaz McKenzie~ The Word Magician


Comments