Why it's good being open to your surroundings ~Art About Town

Last Wednesday I spent the afternoon in Islington with a friend whom I haven't seen in ages. We met around lunchtime and decided to get something to eat in a local pub for a change- It was 'do something different time,' as these days we're more likely to end up in Starbucks or somewhere similar! There was no specific reason for our choice of eatery, we just noticed the pub before passing by and it appeared traditional therefore would have a different atmosphere to a small cafe, so we decided to give it a try.


The place was large, airy and we went and sat by the back wall. I trotted off to the ladies toilets and WOW, a surprise awaited me- I came across the picture of the ladies above and immediately fell in love with it. These women shout fashion at you as they parade around in their hats/fascinators, looking very confident, sexy and extremely curvaceous. Some very powerful imagery of times past. 

I think this picture is what really opened my eyes beyond the tanned leather benches and encouraged me to take note of the other artistic aspects in the immediate environment. 


The walls were embellished with the above- I'm not quite sure of their purpose but it adds a little something extra. More significant were the paintings and accompanying information about Michael Faraday, the scientist who had lived locally and uncovered significant discoveries concerning electromagnetism and electrochemistry. Funny to think how these discoveries made during the 1800's have become pretty foundational in the energy field these days. Now we're immersed in Quantum and meta physics. 



 

As you can see, I didn't get the best pictures due to light reflection so I'll end on a good one for you!
Before doing so let's mention lunch in passing. I was surprised by the way sausages, mash and gravy were served- big dishes swimming in gravy. This must be a more traditional style than the usual delicate plating which is fashionable these days- and I image this to be gravy lovers heaven! 

Let's just finish off with a much better picture which is of the bar. It looked really great so definitely needs including to give an overall view. Just look at those chandeliers- gorgeous! So if you're in Islington, pop in an order a pint or something and take stock of your surroundings. It's a nice place to spend and hour or two.



Please subscribe to our YouTube channel at  Its Braap TV & contact me via my Facebook group if you would like to contribute to  Its Braap Thank you. Jaz McKenzie~ The Word Magician





 

Comments